Re: debian unusable on niagara

On Mon, May  4, 2009 at 11:12:38 +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 09:40:26AM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > As far as I can tell, the main issue is that nobody's actively working
> > on the debian sparc port in the first place.  And without active
> > maintainers, that port is actually a disservice to users and the sparc
> > linux community.
>
> Even if nobody is currently volunteering to explicitly state that they are
> working on the port as a whole (which has always been a fairly vague concept
> anyway), the software is generally working fine (yes, even if it has bugs),
> the buildds are happily churning (and are actually actively maintained),
> new users do actually regularly come through, so I fail to see how it's
> a disservice to everyone.

And yet sid's kernel has been broken for some time without anyone
noticing.  And yet nobody replies when a package maintainer needs a
patch tested and asks on the port mailing list (which means X is broken
in lenny right now).

> What is that statement supposed to mean, anyway? Would you prefer if
> the port didn't exist at all?

Than continue to exist without anyone volunteering to maintain it?  Yes.
But hey, you can still change that...

Cheers,
Julien