Re: debian unusable on niagara

From: Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 13:41:40 +0200

> On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 05:06:04PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
>> From: Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net>
>> Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 00:54:15 +0200
>>
>> > So I suggest that we get some simple diffing done between the two
>> > pieces of software as a basis for documenting any differences, or
>> > making modifications so that they converge.
>>
>> If I had just once seen a "Dave, can you test this image out to make
>> sure this Niagara bug is fixed?", I would have been happy with any
>> result whatsoever.
>>
>> But because that did not happen, I'm understandably irked that things
>> are broken the way that they are.
>>
>> I have tons of machines to test on, and the knowledge to fix just
>> about anything, I just have to be asked.
>
> OK, but each distribution lives in a little (or large) ecosystem of their
> own, and even in the case of Debian where the system is open for everyone to
> enter, the actual act of entering the system is necessary in order for
> anyone to participate.

That's irrelevant to the specific issues being discussed here.

Jurij worked on a bug, reported by a niagara user.

He tested a fix on his non-niagara system, and had no feedback from
the niagara user.  He has no access to niagara systsms.

So he has no idea if the bug is fixed or not.

Jurij, who has worked with me time and time again, over and over,
knows that I have such systems can can test anything for him at
a moments notice.

He fails to ask me to do so, therefore the bug stays in an unknown
state and is in fact still broken.

> In this case, where you want to be informed when there's new stuff in
> Debian's sparc kernel,

This was a installer bug, so irrelevant to some of the problems being
discussed here.

The issue is one of communication.  If the debian sparc folks don't
communicate with me, things break.

This has been proven over and over again, and the distributions with
people who communicate actively with me over Sparc issues are the ones
that get this stuff fixed promptly before it sneaks into a real
release.