Re: SunBlade2000 illegal instruction right after SILO

Hello,

On Monday 05 November 2007 11:02:23 Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
[...]
> >> Which Kernel are you trying to boot? I run into such things while trying
> >> to boot a SMP Kernel on non-SMP machines and the other way round. Also
> >> 2.6.18 seems to have issues with US III CPUs in general.
> >
> > It was 2.6.18. Though it booted fine with the installer.
> >
> > We tried both the SMP kernel and the non-SMP kernel - same effect.
> >
> >> Try to boot with -p as option, that'll probably give more output.
> >
> > I read this several times on google but do not know how to do that at the
> > moment. You probably mean -p as a parameter to the boot call in the boot
> > PROM mode. I'll give it a try.
>
> Linux -p and the silo promt should work.

thanks

> > My hunch is that the issue is with SILO, not with the Kernel. It is
> > happening right after pressing return at the SILO prompt. Others
> > apparently experienced difficulties with SILO, too
> > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/silo/+bug/40119
> >
> > Is there something I could netboot easily to circumvent SILO issues and
> > that allows me to use our current root? Something that comes with the
> > firmware-qlogic package already?
>
> Setting up a netboot environment should not be too complicated, I'm
> pretty sure there're howtos for that in the net.
We netbooted the installer, which is one of the reasons that I think SILO to
be the culprit.

> Although I've never
> tried it, it should be possible to debootstrap a totally different arch.
I tried live-helper for sparc from and amd64 machine and this did not work.
With your hint I tried debootstrap directly. The first stage is fine, the
second though expects to be executed in the chroot which does not work.

But isn't there something out there that I could possibly use rightaway?

> I had such weird problems with silo on two v100 machines
> - one was gone after pulling the power cord and powering the machine on
> again
Hm. I'll try.

> - once I had to write a bunch of 0s to the first sectors of the drives,
> they came from an apple box and it seems there was *whatever* left in
> the place where the bootloader installs itself
Ah, ok. But this was always sun.

> Did you update the firmware? This may help, too.
No, we have not. There is no solaris on the box any more, and at least
http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-111292-14-1 seems to
require it.

Is there anybody who could help with some sort of a rescue disk for sparc that
we could net boot?

Many thanks

Steffen