Re: SunBlade2000 illegal instruction right after SILO

Hi Steffen,

> We do not really know, I must admit. cat /proc/cpuinfo of the installer lists
> only one, we presumed two, though there was no clear indication of that in
> the boot messages, it may hence well be only one.

The Blades support both, they have a special CPU slot if you want to use
them with one CPU only AFAIK.

>>> After a reboot the SILO is found. Return is pressed and immediately an
>>> illegal instruction is raised.
>> Which Kernel are you trying to boot? I run into such things while trying
>> to boot a SMP Kernel on non-SMP machines and the other way round. Also
>> 2.6.18 seems to have issues with US III CPUs in general.
>
> It was 2.6.18. Though it booted fine with the installer.
>
> We tried both the SMP kernel and the non-SMP kernel - same effect.
>
>> Try to boot with -p as option, that'll probably give more output.
>
> I read this several times on google but do not know how to do that at the
> moment. You probably mean -p as a parameter to the boot call in the boot PROM
> mode. I'll give it a try.

Linux -p and the silo promt should work.

> My hunch is that the issue is with SILO, not with the Kernel. It is happening
> right after pressing return at the SILO prompt. Others apparently experienced
> difficulties with SILO, too
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/silo/+bug/40119
>
> Is there something I could netboot easily to circumvent SILO issues and that
> allows me to use our current root? Something that comes with the
> firmware-qlogic package already?

Setting up a netboot environment should not be too complicated, I'm
pretty sure there're howtos for that in the net. Although I've never
tried it, it should be possible to debootstrap a totally different arch.

I had such weird problems with silo on two v100 machines
- one was gone after pulling the power cord and powering the machine on
again
- once I had to write a bunch of 0s to the first sectors of the drives,
they came from an apple box and it seems there was *whatever* left in
the place where the bootloader installs itself

Did you update the firmware? This may help, too.

Otherwise I'm out of clues, too.

Cheers,

Bernd
--