Re: Retiring the sparc32 port

On 18/07/07, Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 01:27:56AM +0100, andrew holway wrote:
> I'm sure that this will be an unwelcome comment but I'm just wondering
> why there is all this interest in this, and please excuse my naivety,
> relativity ancient technology. Considering the commercial market is
> moving very quickly away from 32bit arch and Debians obvious interest
> in remaining a competitive commercial contender, what is the interest?
>
> is this hobbyism?

That's a comment that really shouldn't be dignified with an answer any more
thorough than "Please see http://www.debian.org/"; :>

Yes, we all pretty much know that nothing spectacularly bad will happen if
sparc32 is relegated to the archive, but we're a project of hobbyists and
volunteers who generally tend to take care of our tools, even if they become
old and scruffy and you can't make a profit out of them. It's perfectly
natural for people to want to keep sparc32. To paraphrase Dr. McCoy,
ever so (in)appropriately - we're engineers, not salespeople.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.