Re: Retiring the sparc32 port

On Sunday 15 July 2007 03:53, Austin  Denyer wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 18:08:57 -0700, Steven Ringwald <asric@asric.com>
> > I, for one, will be sorry to see it go, as I actively use my SS10's
> > and 20's. Anyone know of any other Linux distros out there that
> > support the Sparc32 architecture, or am I going to have to look into
> > something like NetBSD going forward?
>
> I too will be sad to see it go.  I love my SS5...

Hi Steven and Denyer,

We are *also* sad to see sparc32 go, but these kinds of messages are only
a repeat of similar reactions on earlier threads.

What we need to sparc32 alive - not only in Debian, but in Linux in
general - is not people who are sad, but people who are willing to invest
time and energy to fix the issues there are, to make sure sparc32 is
supported in the software (kernel, toolchain, whatever) and who are
committed to _keeping_ it maintained.
Being sad unfortunately does not help with that at all.

As to alternatives, what you should be looking for is somewhere where
there is a vibrant sparc32 community, including people who are not just
sad, but who are actually doing work to maintain the port.
I have no idea if NetBSD has such a community or not.

Cheers,
FJP