Fwd: Retiring the sparc32 port

Maybe its the maintanance of older technologies that gives Debian and
the other Linux/GNU distributions out there their inherent value.

I'm quite new to open source so please excuse my comments. I'm still
to fully comprehend the philosophy and the technology.

Its quite far removed from anything I have experienced before.

On 18/07/07, Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 01:27:56AM +0100, andrew holway wrote:
> I'm sure that this will be an unwelcome comment but I'm just wondering
> why there is all this interest in this, and please excuse my naivety,
> relativity ancient technology. Considering the commercial market is
> moving very quickly away from 32bit arch and Debians obvious interest
> in remaining a competitive commercial contender, what is the interest?
>
> is this hobbyism?

That's a comment that really shouldn't be dignified with an answer any more
thorough than "Please see http://www.debian.org/"; :>

Yes, we all pretty much know that nothing spectacularly bad will happen if
sparc32 is relegated to the archive, but we're a project of hobbyists and
volunteers who generally tend to take care of our tools, even if they become
old and scruffy and you can't make a profit out of them. It's perfectly
natural for people to want to keep sparc32. To paraphrase Dr. McCoy,
ever so (in)appropriately - we're engineers, not salespeople.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.