Re: Booting "Etch" on older hardware

Chris Newport wrote:

> As I understand it, the entire SCSI layer was radically changed during
> 2.3 and none of the changes made it into the Sun fc and fcal stuff
> because there was no maintainer. A load of calls and stuctures changed,
> I did not manage to wrap my poor ageing brane around it and gave up.
> Younger minds are better suited to figuring out messy code <B-).

Guess that rules me out as well. In actual fact over the course of the evening
I've discovered that 2.4.32 is more that a little unstable on the sun4d, but at
least I was able to get some performance figures. I'll qualify that: compiled
(using whatever gcc etc. is) on Sarge the result watchdogged once, while
compiled () on Woody it bombs regularly. My gut feel is that it's not a simple
code-generation issue, there might be something like the original reentrancy
problem that I circumvented with my unapproved patch a couple of years ago.

> Open Solaris starts at Solaris 10, so none of the required stuff has
> been open sourced because Sun dropped fc25 support after Solaris 8.

Yes, I came across comments about things that had been excised when I was
digging around a few days ago.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk