weird problems installing debian sarge or etch on Netra X1

Hello all.

I've got some weird problems installing debian sarge or etch (both the
latest versions) on a Netra X1.

First of all in both versions (sarge and etch) are problems with the
detection of the network drivers. By default the 'dmfe' driver is detected,
but this should be the 'tulip' driver. So while installing debian (via
netinstall using dhcp/tftp) I open a command line and type:

modprobe -r dmfe
modprobe tulip

After that the network card works and the installation goes fine until the
first reboot.
After that I first get problems with the network card AGAIN... Since the
'dmfe' module is loaded again, which gives the following error repeated
until the module dmfe is unloaded:

SABRE0: PCI SERR signal asserted.
SABRE0: PCI bus error, PCI_STATUS [caa0]
eth0: Tx timeout, resetting

So (on sarge, which in my examples im using) I type:

echo dmfe >> /etc/hotplug/blacklist
echo skip dmfe >> /etc/discover.conf

To disable the driver on boot.
After that the network card works and these errors are not shown anymore.
BUT....

I keep getting weird errors like:

sleep: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/librt.so.1: invalid ELF
header

dpkg: `ldconfig' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `start-stop-daemon' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `install-info' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `update-rc.d' not found on PATH.
dpkg: 4 expected program(s) not found on PATH.

Configuring the base system...
/usr/sbin/base-config: line 118:  1209 Segmentation fault
debconf-copydb d-
i configdb -c Name:d-i -c Driver:File -c Filename:$DI_DB
--pattern='^(debconf/pr
iority|mirror/http/proxy|mirror/suite|debian-installer/keymap|debian-install
er/c
ountry|debian-installer/language)$'
error: Unable to switch charset mapping to C with terminal 'serial'
Configuring the base system...
/usr/sbin/base-config: line 118:  1240 Segmentation fault
debconf-copydb d-
i configdb -c Name:d-i -c Driver:File -c Filename:$DI_DB
--pattern='^(debconf/pr
iority|mirror/http/proxy|mirror/suite|debian-installer/keymap|debian-install
er/c
ountry|debian-installer/language)$'
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

Does anyone know what's going wrong here?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Migiel