Re: Booting "Etch" on older hardware

Hi,

2 days, 13 hours, 42 minutes, 16 seconds ago, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> We have already dropped support for sun4c at some point, because it did
> not have the basic multiplication and division instruction implemented in
> hardware. Emulating them was pretty slow, so it was deemed unreasonable to
> support them anymore, so now some core libraries are compiled with
> optimizations, which require at least sun4m to run.

Just out of curiosity: would be "hard" technically to provide a `-sun4c'
variant of some of those packages that now make use of the
multiplication and division instructions not available on sun4c?  At
least for `libc6' (which you already provide [0])?

I guess the issue is that APT would still install `libc6' by default
instead of `libc6-sun4c', or is there a way to tweak it into doing the
right thing?

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[0] http://www.wooyd.org/debian/sun4c/