Re: Booting "Etch" on older hardware

Chris Newport wrote:

> I did some work on 2.4, so late versions should run in UP mode.
> SMP was still broken but bootable with kbd&mouse, serial console broken.
> The FC stuff is broken since the 2.2 to 2.4 transition, so you will have
> to use SCSI disks.

2.4.32 appears to run OK unmodified with 8-way SMP on my sun4d (SPARCserver
1000E) over a serial tty although I've had a watchdog timeout, as expected Pluto
doesn't work.

Performance is significantly better than 2.2. I'm tempted to try getting Sarge
onto the system but I don't know whether there is a prebuilt ISO and the
tightest kernel I can build is very close to the maximum bootable.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk