Re: Audio on Ultra 60

On 2006-07-23, Jim Farrand <jimbos-lists@farrand.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to get sound out of my Sun Ultra 60 running Debian
> stable and kernel 2.6.14.6.

FWIW, I'm currently running testing and kernel 2.6.15-1 on a
Sun Ultra 10 with the CS4231 sound chipset.

> At the moment, I can see mixers, programs think that they can play
> sound, and I do get a nasty distorted noise out of the box, but it
> doesn't bear much resemblence to the noise I think should be coming out.
> I suspect that the output is being played too fast - if I play a tune in
> xmms I can see the track time display moving far too fast
> - a 3minute track zooms past in 30seconds or so (but I get exactly the
> same distorted output in all players, including alsaplay).

These are the same symptoms that I had with a previous 2.6 kernel,
although I don't remember which one, other than I believe I skipped
2.6.14. I don't use xmms, but all I got from ogg123, mpg321, and
mp3blaster was noise. Sound is working for me again with my
current kernel.

> I'm using the snd_sun_cs4231 driver.  According to this page:
> http://www.dementia.org/~shadow/sparcaudio.html
> this is the correct chipset for Ultra 60s.  Does anyone know if this
> page is still relevant?  It's a bit light on instructions - says that
> things should "just work" with recent kernels.  It doesn't mention what
> kernel modules to load.  This is what I have:
>
> [0]nyx:~# lsmod | grep snd
> snd_sun_cs4231         28750  0
> snd_pcm_oss            66030  0
> snd_mixer_oss          22996  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm               111473  2 snd_sun_cs4231,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              32562  2 snd_sun_cs4231,snd_pcm
> snd                    67204  5
> snd_sun_cs4231,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> soundcore              14374  1 snd
> snd_page_alloc         14945  2 snd_sun_cs4231,snd_pcm

My lsmod looks like exactly yours (except for the sizes), although
for some odd reason I have this, but I don't know if it matters.
  snd_mixer_oss          19072  2 snd_pcm_oss
All I have in /etc/modules is snd-sun-cs4231 and snd-pcm-oss.

> Many pages mention audioctl and /dev/audioctl.

I never investigated beyond simply changing kernels, so I can't
help with this.

Regards,

Howard E.