Audio on Ultra 60

Hi,

I'm trying to get sound out of my Sun Ultra 60 running Debian stable and
kernel 2.6.14.6.

At the moment, I can see mixers, programs think that they can play
sound, and I do get a nasty distorted noise out of the box, but it
doesn't bear much resemblence to the noise I think should be coming out.
I suspect that the output is being played too fast - if I play a tune in
xmms I can see the track time display moving far too fast
- a 3minute track zooms past in 30seconds or so (but I get exactly the
same distorted output in all players, including alsaplay).

I'm using the snd_sun_cs4231 driver.  According to this page:
http://www.dementia.org/~shadow/sparcaudio.html
this is the correct chipset for Ultra 60s.  Does anyone know if this
page is still relevant?  It's a bit light on instructions - says that
things should "just work" with recent kernels.  It doesn't mention what
kernel modules to load.  This is what I have:

[0]nyx:~# lsmod | grep snd
snd_sun_cs4231         28750  0
snd_pcm_oss            66030  0
snd_mixer_oss          22996  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm               111473  2 snd_sun_cs4231,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              32562  2 snd_sun_cs4231,snd_pcm
snd                    67204  5
snd_sun_cs4231,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              14374  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         14945  2 snd_sun_cs4231,snd_pcm

Many pages mention audioctl and /dev/audioctl.  I've found this program,
but I don't seem to have this device node in /dev.  Is this because I am
missing a kernel module?  I suspect that if I had the right module, this
file would be created (like all the other files in /dev are these days).
I've tried mknodding this device with the appropriate numbers anyway,
but the audioctl program still fails with the error:

/dev/audioctl: No such device

The reason I want to use audioctl is that the only page I could find
with a vaguely similar sounding problem (wrt distorted output) suggested
using audioctl to set play.pause to 0.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Am I even on the right track trying to fix
/dev/audioctl or is that old news?

Regards,
Jim