Re: Xorg 7 on sparc64

On Saturday 17 June 2006 16:46, Jurij Smakov wrote:

> Just to reconfirm: I've just reinstalled my Ultra5, updated it to the
> latest sid and installed xorg. The xorg.conf file it generates during
> installation is indeed broken, as it uses fbdev driver. The machine hangs
> solid when an attempt is made to do startx with this xorg.conf (bad!).
> Changing the driver to ati makes everything work nicely though. Versions
> of installed packages:
>
> xorg			7.0.22
> xserver-xorg-core	1.0.2-8
> xserver-xorg-video-ati	6.5.8.0-1

I just finished a fresh U5 (w/4M VRAM) install of Etch; kernel 2.6.15-1.  The
ati Xorg 7.0 driver works without incident at 1024x768 in 24 bits.

After installing xserver.xorg, the generated xorg.conf file was good for ATI
video.  It needed a keyboard touchup to use the correct map ("sun(type5)"
instead of "sun") and I don't yet have Ctrl-Alt-Fn key switching among vts.
It assumed a low performance monitor.

This is pretty good for a generated x*.conf file under Sparc, so I'd call this
a success.

The three packages cited above all have the same versions in my installation.

Promising!

-- SP