Re: Please test new SILO - problems with CDROM booting may be fixed

Jurij:

No luck, I'm afraid.

Sun Ultra-10:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu             : TI UltraSparc IIi (Sabre)
fpu             : UltraSparc IIi integrated FPU
promlib         : Version 3 Revision 19
prom            : 3.19.4
type            : sun4u
ncpus probed    : 1
ncpus active    : 1
D$ parity tl1   : 0
I$ parity tl1   : 0
Cpu0Bogo        : 878.59
Cpu0ClkTck      : 000000001a39de00
MMU Type        : Spitfire

Using this latest image, all I get is:
boot:
Allocated 8 Megs of memory at 0x40000000 for kernel
Uncompressing image...
Loaded kernel version 2.6.16

Remapping the kernel... done.
Registering the callbacks... done.
Booting Linux...

The system does not get past this point.

I am able to run Gentoo without issue [well, one issue -- keyboard doesn't work at a console login], but I could not get Debian to boot.

2.6.16-gentoo-r9 #1 PREEMPT Sun Jun 4 20:06:12 EDT 2006 sparc64 sun4u GNU/Linux

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dave

Jurij Smakov wrote:
Hi,

David Miller has just posted a silo fix, addressing the long-standing problem of it being unable to boot the system from CDROM on a variety of hardware. So if you've got a machine which dies with 'Fast Data Access MMU Miss', or 'FP Disabled', or 'Illegal instruction' while trying to boot
from CDROM, please try the iso image at

http://www.wooyd.org/debian/silo/sparc-mini.iso

It features the patched-up silo, and might work for you. Please report your experiences to the list.

Thanks,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org