RE: Does anyone have software RAID 1 mirroring of / set up on Sparc?

Thanks for all your help Simon - I've updated the Openboot default boot to be partition 3 (All disk) and it works.  We're so close...

I did set things up slightly different to you, in that I created a separate /boot (partition 1, starting at cylinder 1, on each disk).  After that I created swap and root partitions.  After updating /etc/fstab for mirrored /boot & swap I can successfully boot into the system and can see that both are using the mirrors.

However, when it comes to mounting / from the md the boot dies - at the bottom of this email I've pasted output of the last stage of the boot process.

I can confirm that:

  I compiled kernel with all require storage drivers, RAID support & RAID1 compiled in
  I've set all of the RAID partitions as type 'fd'.
  I've created the RAID device /dev/md2 for / on /dev/sda4 & /dev/sdb4
  I mkfs'd /dev/md2, mounted on /mnt and copied / to it using cp -ax / /mnt
  I updated /mnt/etc/fstab to use /dev/md2 for /
  I copied the existing silo.conf entry for my working, unmirrored root drive (sda5), gave it a unique silo label and added a statement root=/dev/md2

Here's what my .config has to say about RAID

CONFIG_RAID_ATTRS=y

# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_3W_XXXX_RAID is not set

# CONFIG_SCSI_AACRAID is not set

# CONFIG_MEGARAID_NEWGEN is not set

# CONFIG_MEGARAID_LEGACY is not set

# CONFIG_MEGARAID_SAS is not set

# Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)

CONFIG_MD_RAID0=m

CONFIG_MD_RAID1=y

CONFIG_MD_RAID10=m

CONFIG_MD_RAID5=m

CONFIG_MD_RAID6=m

And here's the boot output as promised (after the message 'Unable to open an initial console', the system has most definitely hung up its guns!):

md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.

md: autorun ...

md: considering sdb4 ...

md:  adding sdb4 ...

md: sdb2 has different UUID to sdb4

md: sdb1 has different UUID to sdb4

md:  adding sda4 ...

md: sda2 has different UUID to sdb4

md: sda1 has different UUID to sdb4

md: created md2

md: bind<sda4>

md: bind<sdb4>

md: running: <sdb4><sda4>

raid1: raid set md2 active with 2 out of 2 mirrors

md: considering sdb2 ...

md:  adding sdb2 ...

md: sdb1 has different UUID to sdb2

md:  adding sda2 ...

md: sda1 has different UUID to sdb2

md: created md1

md: bind<sda2>

md: bind<sdb2>

md: running: <sdb2><sda2>

raid1: raid set md1 active with 2 out of 2 mirrors

md: considering sdb1 ...

md:  adding sdb1 ...

md:  adding sda1 ...

md: created md0

md: bind<sda1>

md: bind<sdb1>

md: running: <sdb1><sda1>

raid1: raid set md0 active with 2 out of 2 mirrors

md: ... autorun DONE.

kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds

Warning: unable to open an initial console.

security@ffastfill.com

This email has been scanned for all viruses by the FFastFill Email
Security System.