RE: Does anyone have software RAID 1 mirroring of / set up on Sparc?

Hi Simon,

> It is quite tricky to get right. You might find this old post (about
> setting up Sarge with root on RAID-1 on my Netra) helpful:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2005/07/msg00143.html

I tried something along the lines of what you advised, but can you
confirm that you have to create your 1st partition (in my case /boot)
starting at cylinder 1?  I am unable to boot the system without doing a
'boot disk0:x' (where x is the partition containing /boot).

When trying a straight 'boot' (i.e. boot disk0) I get the error message
'The file just loaded does not appear to be executable'.

Also, the Silo docs say for the -t option:

"Stores the boot block into the same partition as the second stage
loader.  By default, when using a SCSI or an IDE disk, SILO writes the
boot block  into the master boot (the boot block of the partition
starting at cylinder 0). This behaviour can be changed with the "-t"
argument."

Of course, I don't have any partition starting at cylinder 0.

I'd really appreciate if you could tell me how I can make Silo put
something into cylinder 0 so that a normal boot will work?

Cheers
Ashley

security@ffastfill.com

This email has been scanned for all viruses by the FFastFill Email
Security System.