Re: sparc ss20/debian

Hi,
On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:49:00PM +0200, Casper wrote:

> > Do you want to boot from disk?
> > 	You should enter the OpenBoot Prompt (OBP) and "boot disk"
> > 	instead of "boot net" or just "boot". Note that you can define
> > 	a default device to boot off (though I don't remember the
> > 	exact syntax, use the "help" to find out.)

printenv will show you the different variables.  setenv sets them.

I believe that

setenv boot-device disk

will set the booting off of disk, but...

- do a printenv and looks to make sure it's boot-device and not
bootdevice or ???

- it's probably worth  typing

boot disk

once and making sure that, yes, it in fact boots something sensible.

> > Do you want to boot off the network, eg. for installing the machine?
> > 	Properly insert the network cable into the twisted pair / RJ45
> > 	ethernet port and use a network sniffer on the other side to
> > 	explore on which way this box wants to boot.
> >
> > ...or do you want to do something else?

(This might be my bad memory from say a SparcStation 4 and not a 20)

To boot off of the net you might need to say something like:

boot net-tpe

or so.  Otherwise it's tryin to use the old thick ethernet port and not the
RJ45 port.  A

help boot

should clear this up.

Ah yes, it is boot net-tpe.  Much more help is available at:

http://gnu.kookel.org/ftp/LDP/HOWTO/SPARC-HOWTO-14.html

cheers

bruce

--