Re: Audioctl on a U10

Hi Kwy,

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 09:00:14PM -0800, kwy wrote:
> Hello Martin and Hendrik,
>
> Eventually, I can make "noise" coming out from the sound card. it's
> noise :-( I've use mpg321 to play a mp3 song, it seems that a lot of
> noise and the playing speed is faster than the original. When I use 2.4
> kernel with mpg321, it works great.
> The procedure I did :
> I've put "snd-sun-cs4231" into /etc/modules, restart the machine to
> make it automatically load the sound module, then I run the alsa.patch
> file in Roland Stigge's email
> http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.ports.sparc/browse_thread/thread/44014c05b818e311/e6614e187d876e69?q=alsaconf+patch&rnum=1#e6614e187d876e69

Since you already load snd-sun-cs4231 automatically, you don't need to
run alsaconf after you start up.

> I try to play mp3 with mpg321, "noise" comes out.

First try to play a wav file with aplay. Only if that works ok proceed to
other programs and formats.

> Yes, I see /dev/snd/
> ultra5:~$ ls -l /dev/snd
> total 0
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116,  0 Jan 14 21:44 controlC0
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 24 Jan 14 21:44 pcmC0D0c
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 16 Jan 14 21:44 pcmC0D0p
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 33 Jan 14 21:44 timer

Looks good enough.

> I've re-install alsa-base and alsa-utils but I've no luck. I look at
> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and I've no idea to update/change it. Do you
> have any idea? Please help.

You don't need to modify /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base anymore, since you've
added the module in /etc/modules.

Looks like you have the same symptom that Roland was getting in the thread
you reference. So upgrading to a later kernel may resolve the issue.
I don't know exactly what kernel version has all the CS4231 fixes.
Hopefully someone else on the list can recommend a good version to use.

--
Martin