Re: Type5 keyboard with kernel version 2.6.x

On Wednesday 09 November 2005 18:54, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> How is a normal person supposed to know the proper values for the
> different fields. From the keyboard manpage:
>   Option "XkbRules" "rules"
>       specifies which XKB rules file to use for interpreting the  Xkb-
>       Model, XkbLayout, XkbVariant, and XkbOptions settings.  Default:
>       "xfree86" for most platforms, but  "xfree98"  for  the  Japanese
>       PC-98 platforms.
>
>   Option "XkbModel" "modelname"
>       specifies  the  XKB  keyboard  model name.  Default: "pc101" for
>       most platforms, but "pc98" for the Japanese PC-98 platforms, and
>      "pc101_sol8x86" for Solaris 8 on x86.
>
>   Option "XkbLayout" "layoutname"
>       specifies  the  XKB  keyboard  layout name.  This is usually the
>       country or language type of the  keyboard.   Default:  "us"  for
>       most platforms, but "nec/jp" for the Japanese PC-98 platforms.
>
>   Option "XkbVariant" "variants"
>       specifies  the  XKB  keyboard  variant components.  These can be
>       used to enhance the keyboard layout details.  Default: not  set.
>
>   Option "XkbOptions" "options"
>       specifies the XKB keyboard option components.  These can be used
>       to enhance the keyboard behaviour.  Default: not set.
>
> That just a tiny bit of information but by far not enough to understand
> how to use it! Where do I _look_ _up_ the possible values? It is
> explained nowhere :-(

Yeah, it is fairly confusing. I did an update of the Dutch keyboard layout
not too long ago, and it took me quite long to get it right.
If you need help on this, look for Denis Barbier. He's the kbd guy in the
X strikeforce team and has good upstream access too.

I think the first thing to do is check which keycodes are being sent by
the Sun-specific keys (using showkey?). Then see what they should be
mapped to in the old configs for 2.4. The values should still be the
same.

I think what's needed here is a new XkbModel (with all the language
variants), but it could be less maintenance in the long run to specify
the differences between the suntype and regular keyboards as an
XkbVariant of the regular keyboards.
I have no idea how to decide on this.

Getting the Compose key working should be a relatively minor issue AFAIK.

BTW, the same exercise should be done for the console keymaps...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
FJP