Re: Type5 keyboard with kernel version 2.6.x

Am Sonntag, 6. November 2005 17:21 schrieb Christian Tusche:
> > X.org would not work due to mouse problems.
> > I edit xorg.conf and changed mouse from "/dev/sunmouse" to
> > "/dev/psaux" and it is working...
>
> "/dev/psaux" only is a compatibility fallback. The right device for the
> 2.6.x kernel is "/dev/input/mice" or "/dev/input/mouse*"
>
> The problem with the PC105 keyboard is, that it has only those keys also
> present on a regular pc-style keyboard. For the type5/6 sun keyboard, we
> need a modified layout. I just had a closer look to "/etc/X11/xkb" and
> didn't find anything. Or am I missing something?

I'll try to hack one up next week (however: never done that before).
Especially, I am missing the Compose-Key.

Altogether, the documentation for X kbd and keyboard driver absolutely
suck :-(
How is a normal person supposed to know the proper values for the different
fields. From the keyboard manpage:
  Option "XkbRules" "rules"
      specifies which XKB rules file to use for interpreting the  Xkb-
      Model, XkbLayout, XkbVariant, and XkbOptions settings.  Default:
      "xfree86" for most platforms, but  "xfree98"  for  the  Japanese
      PC-98 platforms.

  Option "XkbModel" "modelname"
      specifies  the  XKB  keyboard  model name.  Default: "pc101" for
      most platforms, but "pc98" for the Japanese PC-98 platforms, and
     "pc101_sol8x86" for Solaris 8 on x86.

  Option "XkbLayout" "layoutname"
      specifies  the  XKB  keyboard  layout name.  This is usually the
      country or language type of the  keyboard.   Default:  "us"  for
      most platforms, but "nec/jp" for the Japanese PC-98 platforms.

  Option "XkbVariant" "variants"
      specifies  the  XKB  keyboard  variant components.  These can be
      used to enhance the keyboard layout details.  Default: not  set.

  Option "XkbOptions" "options"
      specifies the XKB keyboard option components.  These can be used
      to enhance the keyboard behaviour.  Default: not set.

That just a tiny bit of information but by far not enough to understand how to
use it! Where do I _look_ _up_ the possible values? It is explained
nowhere :-(

May this be worth a bug report against xlibs? Or two: one to improve
documentation, the other to fix the missing keys.
Or is this present, don't know because of crappy docs. There seems to be
something in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/sun but I simply do not know how to define
those and it's documented nowhere!

HS