Re: SunBlade D-I problems

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, David S. Miller wrote:

How exactly is the SBUS device traversal performed?  Using /proc/openprom
or /dev/openprom tree walking?

It uses /dev/openprom, since we only provide /proc/openprom support as a module, so it might not be available.

If that is the kind of method used, there are so many different paths you have
to try in order to get at all the SBUS bus roots correctly.

In particular, on a machine like Ben's E4500, there are probably 4
or so SBUS roots in his machine.

Ok, when me and joshk hacked it together, we did not consider such possibilities. By looking at the code I see it looks either for the sbus node in the root of the prom tree (this is a sparc64 fix which was introduced by joshk in August) or iommu->sbus (which works for sparc32, I believe).

There are examples in the prtconf sources in the sparc-utils package
of what the device tree layouts look like.

I'll look at those. If all the information is there, it should not be too hard to fix. Maybe it makes sense just to walk the complete tree looking for sbus_nodes? Perhaps someone else on the list can provide the prtconf output for E4500?

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org