Re: SunBlade D-I problems

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:51:48 -0500 (EST)
Jurij Smakov <jurij@wooyd.org> wrote:

> After discussing it with Joshua Kwan, I came to believe that this is just
> another incarnation of the CMD646 problem. He had quite a lot of troubles
> trying make it work as a module, in the end it was just compiled in
> 2.4.27, which took care of the problem. The same "solution" can be used
> for ALI, but it would be nice to get to the root of it.

> Autoprobing for SBUS devices has been included in discover1 for quite some
> time now. And it works nicely with the recent (pre-RC3) installer images,
> I have tested it myself just a few days ago on an Ultra 1.

How exactly is the SBUS device traversal performed?  Using /proc/openprom
or /dev/openprom tree walking?

If that is the kind of method used, there are so many different paths you have
to try in order to get at all the SBUS bus roots correctly.

In particular, on a machine like Ben's E4500, there are probably 4
or so SBUS roots in his machine.

There are examples in the prtconf sources in the sparc-utils package
of what the device tree layouts look like.

In hindsight I should have provided some /proc or /sys based SBUS
device tree.  Eventually I'll code up something like that so people
don't have to poke around the firmware device tree for SBUS probing.