Re: SunBlade D-I problems (was: Bits (Nybbles?) from the Vancouver release team meeting)

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:07:28 +0100
Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:

> See installation-report #298927 in BTS [1]. Also this [2] thread on
> d-boot.
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=298927

Current images have the tg3 bug fix he talks about.
The IDE problem is weird.  There are two possibilities:

1) The ALI driver doesn't work modular on his box for some
   reason.
2) Some patch in the debian kernel tree causes it to break.

He does state that building a vanilla 2.4.27 with the ALI
driver built statically makes it work.

I kind of remember this report for some reason.  Perhaps
some other device took over the IDE ports or something
weird like that, which makes modular IDE driver not work.

Can we get this reporter to retry with current CDROM images?
If it still fails, I'll pull out my SB100 and help debug.

> [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/03/msg00249.html

This says that current images work and no longer have the
problem.

> There is also #299074 [3], but that is probably unrelated.
>
> [3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=299074

He lists the exact way to solve the problem, which is that
SBUS driver modules don't get loaded properly, and that
by autoloading the modules he listed the problem can be worked
around.

It looks to me like there is an autoprobing and automatic
module loading mechanism for PCI devices, and there is not
one for SBUS devices.