Re: SILO parameter proble

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 20:40 +0100, Howard Applesdale wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> i've got a problem with my SS20 wich has stable-release fresh
> installed:
> after booting SILO complains about not found kernel-image. at SILO's
> prompt i have the chance to fire my system with the following line up:
> /iommu/sbus/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@3,0;1/vmlinuz
> root=/dev/sda1
>
> it is a little uncomfortable to specify the kernel-file from the
> powerplug onwards. don't ask me, how many typos i have made since this
> state...
>
> any suggestions, how to handle this behaviour? since the system will
> become a headless router this state is impractical...

Hendrik Sattler correctly mentioned that the first partition sda1 has to
contain the kernel + silo.conf.  It must be smaller than one gigabyte on
SS20 and probably other sparc32.

I usually set up sparc32 machines with a small /boot as the first
partition (sda1), large enough to hold two or three kernels.  50-70
megabytes has been enough.  I believe the other partitions can be of any
size.  In one case I had an 8 gigabyte / as sda4, swap as sda2,
small /boot as sda1, and sda3 as a Sun label.

If your sda1 is under one gigabyte, have you checked /boot/silo.conf for
the correct settings?  It should contain root=/dev/sda1 and
image=1/vmlinuz lines.

-- guten abend, SP