Re: Problems booting with initrd [was: Re: Testing 2.6.10 on sparc]

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Mehul Sanghvi wrote:

The kernel that has worked for me is the kernel from the Debian Woody 3.0r2
release.  If I remember correctly, it was a 2.4.18 kernel.  I have not compiled
any kernels on my own.

What happens is that upon bootup, SILO takes over,  and starts trying to
load the kernel.  In the case of the Debian Installer images that I have
used, these are 2.4.x (x > 20) ( I don't have access to the U2 at this time
to double check the version).

The kernel starts loading and pretty much immediately after that
I get an error as follows:

Remapping kernel .... FP Disabled

and I am back at the 'ok ' prompt.

I've reported the problem before (PR #281641) you can get the exact details
in there.

Hi Mehul,

This problem has been known for some time, see bug report #267428 (I'll merge your report with it). This is a serious bug, which we would very much like to resolve before sarge release. Unfortunately, I don't have access to any machine which exhibits this failure. If you would be willing to do some testing, I can build some custom kernels with some extra debugging information. Can you netboot this machine? Does the problem persist with any of the current netboot images from [0]?

[0] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org