Re: Ultra10 console problems

Thanks to Robert and Emmanuel who provided suggestions, below is what worked.

Vincent:

Thank you.  That was exactly it.

Oddly enough, though, this caused my ethernet interfaces to change.....

I have 3 installed (old order):
eth0   ->   built-in happy-meal adapter [unused]
eth1   ->   Netgear (natsemi) adapter (internal network)
eth2   ->   Netgear (natsemi) adpater (external network)

After adding the append="video=atyfb:off" and booting with the stock 2.6.14-2-sparc64 kernel, "eth0" has vanished [i.e. the hme0 adapter is missing], and the other 2 are now eth0 and eth1.

No idea why the NICs changed spots, but for now, I've got my console back, am on 2.6.14-2-sparc64, and my network access works.

Thanks.  :-)

Cheers,
Dave

Vincent Vandeweijer <v.p.vandeweijer@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I too had some hard time getting a (stock) 2.6 kernel running on my Ultra10
with Elite3d. It would just never boot all the way. the 2.4.27 from the net
install cd booted fine though... After numerous tries I found that using
video=atyfb:off in silo was needed to boot a 2.6 kernel. At that time I was
trying 2.6.12, and I'm still using it today. heres what my silo.conf looks
like today.

vincent@ra:~$ cat /etc/silo.conf
root=/dev/hda2
partition=1
default=Linux
read-only
timeout=100

image=/vmlinuz
label=Linux
initrd=/initrd.img
append="video=atyfb:off"

image=/vmlinuz.old
label=LinuxOLD
initrd=/initrd.img.old

note the append part in the default kernel section. The LinuxOLD refers to a
2.4.27 kernel which doesn't need this option.

Hope it is of any help :)

Vincent

btw. getting an accellerated Elite3d config running isn't what it used to be
either... :( I had to modify /etc/init.d/afbinit to get /usr/sbin/afbinit
executed since dmesg doen't mention the string "Elite 3D" anymore... this
type of detection is used by the /etc/init.d/afbinit script. But I guess
that's not an issue for you.