RE: Remote printing from a Solaris box to a remote Debian-CUPS server

First off before you go too far down the manual configuration route. I just
checked on my print server and if you do a

dpkg-reconfigure cupsys-bsd

It asks you if you want to setup the BSD lpd compatibility server.

Maybe just take the entry out of inetd.conf and see if that fixes it for
you. If not I've answered a few of your questions below. It might also be
worth your while firing a message off to the Debian CUPS Maintainers at
pkg-cups-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org

Richard

You can do

telnet localhost 515

Or probably more importantly do it from SolarisBox replacing localhost with
the hostname of your debian system.

If that works you will see "Connected to localhost", "Escape character is
'^]'.". That says that you can get basic connectivity to lpd. Use ctrl-]
then 'q' to get out of telnet.

If it does not work then you have something wrong in the plumbing of
cups-lpd into inetd.
I've just had a look on my print server and I have the following in
/etc/inetd.conf. I must admit to having not tried using lpd recently but
have no reason to think that it wouldn't work.

printer stream tcp nowait lp /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd cups-lpd

If you are getting a connection then it is probably worth looking in the
cups logs at /var/log/cups/ they may give you an idea as to what is going
on.