Re: Remote printing from a Solaris box to a remote Debian-CUPS server

Richard,

thank you for your info. I have not had the time to immediately apply your
advice, but now I am eagerly trying again to set up  my  printing network.
According to your advice I read the man-pages and inserted the named line into
the "/etc/inetd.conf"-file. I restarted the "inetd"-daemon and the
"cupsd"-daemon as well, but printing from my  SolarisBox to the remote
"Debian-system" is still impossible. When launching a print job from the
SolarisBox,  an error message appears in its console window telling me:

        Message from kap on SolarisBox (???) [ Tue Aug 16 13:31:28 ] ...

        Error transfering print job 0
                 check queue for (rljet4p@Debian-system)
<EOT>

Meanwhile I learned from the docs that the inetd-daemon is listening on port 515
for incoming print jobs; in which case the cups-lpd daemon is started to handle
the job. What I don't know is:  How  can I tell whether the TCP-connection from
the SolarisBox to the Debian-system is OK? Is there a means to test this
connection? A sort of "ping" perhaps?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA
Friedhelm