Re: Sarge may be last Debian release for 32 bit sparc systems

El Lun 25 Jul 2005 18:19, Hendrik Sattler escribió:

> > Support of sun4c and sun4d was effectivly dropped from Sarge.  The
> > only reports trying d-i on this hardware that I remember seeing were
> > failures, and noone bother to try to fix it.  Upgrades from Woody may
> > work, but were not well tested either.
> >
> > Sun4m is the last supported 32-bit sparc architecture.  Reportedly,
> > the 2.6 kernel does not work in multi-processor mode on them, and
> > dropping support of 2.4 from Etch is being discussed.
>
> Ok, kernel development is not that easy, especially when it comes to SMP
> support. Additionally, I do not understand how such support can break during
> development...

Please tell me if there is something else in debian with 64bit support. AFAIK
the kernel is the only 64bit binary. Not even gcc is 64 bit.

The question I have now is: If everything, except the kernel is 32 bit, what
is it that's going to be dropped?

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués          |   Programador, DBA