Sarge may be last Debian release for 32 bit sparc systems

In my opinion, we should drop support of all 32-bit sparc systems from
Etch due to lack of people willing to spend the time to support them.
This doesn't mean that we should delibaratly break things for them,
but that the interest in continuing to support them is below what is
needed to keep them as a viable part of Debian.

Support of sun4c and sun4d was effectivly dropped from Sarge.  The
only reports trying d-i on this hardware that I remember seeing were
failures, and noone bother to try to fix it.  Upgrades from Woody may
work, but were not well tested either.

Sun4m is the last supported 32-bit sparc architecture.  Reportedly,
the 2.6 kernel does not work in multi-processor mode on them, and
dropping support of 2.4 from Etch is being discussed.

Note that lack of hardware is not the problem, if anyone wants some
sun4m systems (located in Los Angeles) let me know before they wind up
in the recycle pile.

(If you don't have the skills/time for doing supporting the hardware
yourself, you could substitue money.  However, it would be much
cheaper just to replace your outdated hardware.)

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html