Re: Sarge may be last Debian release for 32 bit sparc systems

Blars Blarson wrote:
[...]
Sun4m is the last supported 32-bit sparc architecture.  Reportedly,
the 2.6 kernel does not work in multi-processor mode on them, and
dropping support of 2.4 from Etch is being discussed.

Note that lack of hardware is not the problem, if anyone wants some
sun4m systems (located in Los Angeles) let me know before they wind up
in the recycle pile.

To add to this for anyone who is interested, I have 5 sparcstation LX machines, some possibly needing the boot-lock removed (possible using a kernel hack some time ago, not sure now), which are currently just gathering dust in my bedroom. So if anyone is in the UK (Aberdeen, Scotland) and would work on updating the sun4m port, I can make one or more available too. I'm not sure how much memory they have, but perhaps the SS10/20 dimms that Eric Jorgensen advertised may work ok in them.

OTOH while I'm not a kernel hacker, I could at least do installation/run-testing with these - I even have an external scsi cdrom drive for them, somewhere.

--
Neil