Re: Sound config?

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Tib wrote:

Had to run modprobe openprom to get this output, but I'm not sure exactly
what to do now. The audio information doesn't look remotely useful. Now
what should I do?

Sorry, my mind was wandering a bit when I wrote my previous message :-). As Blades have PCI buses, the device detection there uses PCI IDs, and not information from prtconf. So, to include the support for your sound card in discover1, you need to determine its PCI ID and the correct kernel module. To get the ID you can use lspci, for example running lspci on my (i386) machine displays the audio card as

0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

You can then run lspci -n, the relevant output will look like that:

0000:00:1f.5 0401: 8086:2485 (rev 02)

The PCI ID for this card is then 8086:2485. The mappings between PCI IDs and kernel module which discover1 will load to make it work are stored in /lib/discover/pci.lst. I can check whether there is an entry for my card there (note the removed colon in the PCI ID):

bash$ grep 80862485 /lib/discover/pci.lst
        80862485        sound   i810_audio      82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller
bash$

So, when discover1 finds this card, it will load i810_audio module. For your card such a mapping is most likely absent. Once you determine the PCI ID and the needed module, you can add a line for it to /lib/discover/pci.lst and check whether it works. If everything works out, submit a wishlist bug against discover1-data with this information.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org