problems using a printer at my ultra5

Hi,

Id'd like to connect a printer (via parallel or usb connectors) to my ultra5.

Both connections (parallel and usb) lead to problems  ...

Parallel:
After modprobing parport_pc the printer is successfully  autoprobed
(/proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/autoprobe  shows the  correct printer type)
The printer can be installed in cups without errors ... If I try to use
it there were messages at the console and in the syslog:
lp0: ECP mode
... but nothing is received by the printer ('data' light stays dark)

As stated in the kernel documentation I switched off the FIFO option
and try to:
insmod parport_pc irq=none

still no data arrives via parallel port ...
The parallel port on the ultra5 seems to be a black whole !

USB:
Trying the USB-port (cat ... > /dev/usb/lp0) transmits some data to the printer (i.e. 'data' light is blinking) - due to incomplete ioctl calls on sparc64 linux I receive
errors when I try printing using cups.
(see also http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2004/11/msg00193.html)

I've used severel 2.6 kernels for testing ...
Any help ?

Roger
begin:vcard
fn:Dr. Roger Zimmermann
n:Zimmermann;Dr. Roger
org;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:Zentrum f=C3=BCr exp. Medizin;Institut f=C3=BCr Neuro- und Pathophysiologie
adr;quoted-printable:;;Martinistra=C3=9Fe 52;Hamburg;;20246;Germany
email;internet:R.Zimmermann@UKE.Uni-Hamburg.de
tel;work:..49 (0)40 42803 5351
tel;fax:..49 (0)40 42803 7255
x-mozilla-html:FALSE