Re: Sarge on Netra T1

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:07, Peter Clarke wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a (couple of) Netra T1 105's, 440Mhz/512MB.
> Both have 2 x 36gb SCSI discs.
>
> When installing and running Solaris, all discs are recognised properly,
> when installing Sarge from the latest netinst image, only 540MB of each
> discs appears usable!
>
> Incidently this was also the case when attempting to install on an Ultra60
> (2 x 18gb) and an Ultra10 (both IDE and via SCSI card) ... in all cases
> the installer would only see about 540mb.

I had the same problem when installing Debian on the SunBlade 1000 - one of my
73Gb drives kept comming up as 18Gb !!!

After much yelling and screaming at Crappaq (it was a Compaq OEM drive,
manufactured by Seagate), I finally got the CHS settings (cylinders, heads,
sectors) from Seagate (very helpful guys, unlike HP/Compaq !)

When I used FDISK to change these settings, I couldn't get the drive to hold
them after a reboot. Much scratching of various bodily surfaces ensued, until
I realised that the solution is reasonably simple.

Undr Solaris, partition (or "slice") 3 covers the whole disk and isn't used
for anything else, AFAIK. Delete this, reset the CHS settings, write the
partition table back to disk, re-run FDISK and create your partitions.

If you create one large partition, mount it and do a "df -h" you should see
whatever the total capacity of the drive is.

Note: partition 3 must be of the type Sun Disklabel (option "s" in FDISK).

Note 2: Don't hold me responsible if you nuke your system doing this - it
worked for me, your mileage may vary.

Jon

P.S. Anyone know what keyboard type to use for a Type 6 SUN keyboard ?