RE: Debian on Sparc 4 - woody to sarge - some progress

I was too eager ... thanks Jurij, I tried modprobe sunlance.o instead of
just sunlance.  I was kinda getting into the right general idea but led
myself astray a bit it seems.

modprobe sunlance worked just fine.

I shall have a good look around to see if there are any other modules
which should be listed in /etc/modules as I certainly missed that.

Now the question is this, as the interface issue will be cleared up on
reboot, the error I experienced when I rebooted the new kernel: -

<snip>
VFS: Disk quotas vdquot_6.5.1
devfs: v1.12c (20020818) Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
devfs: boot_options 0x0
Console: switching to mono PROM 80x34
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 812K size 1024 blocksize
Initializing Cryptographic API
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP: routing cache hash table of 512 buckets, 4Kbytes
NET4: Unix domian sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or 08:01
  Press L1-A to return to the boot prom

Was that a user issue because I have symlinks in / pointing to /boot and
_also_ have the following silo.conf file?  I still had the Please append
a correct "root=" boot option even though it is clearly in my silo.conf

$ cat /etc/silo.conf
root=/dev/sda1
partition=1
timeout=100
read-only

image=1/vmlinuz
         label=linux
         initrd=/initrd.img

image=1/vmlinuz.old
         label=linuxOLD

Getting there slowly but surely.  I am still reluctant to reboot just
yet as I would like to minimize fallout.

Cheers,

Steve