RE: Debian on Sparc 4 - woody to sarge - some progress

Hi Patrick et al,

I hadn't, just did and ... "No such device"

Also dmesg just shows the same as the kern.log. Ethernet address <MAC>

I used to (before kernel upgrade) have the following line in in kern.log
on boot: -

sunlance.c:v1.12 11/Mar/99 Miguel de Icaza (miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx)

But I just noticed that it is missing since, also not present on dmesg.

I thought perhaps that sunhme.o may find it, but perhaps that is just
for the later ULTRA SPARC stations.  I cannot see a lance module under
the old /lib/modules/2.2.20 directory but as I mentioned in an earlier
post, I thought only 2.4.x was modular.

Interesting enough is that I have found a sunlance.o module under the
following: -

/lib/modules/2.4.27-2-sparc32/kernel/drivers/net/sunlance.o

However, when I try and use it with modprobe I get the following error:
-

Modprobe: Can't locate module
/lib/modules/2.4.27-2-sparc32/kernel/drivers/net/sunlance.o

Strange too, modprobe -c shows that my kernel module path is
/lib/module/kernel but the directory doesn't exist.

I also have another top level path /lib/modules/2.4 which doesn't exist.
Ah, in actual fact, I have just one toplevel directory which is correct,
pointing to /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-sparc32 all the other path statements
are pointing to /lib/modules/<some directory> and the directory doesn't
exist.

Perhaps that is why it cannot find the sunlance module.  I suppose I
could actually direct the output to a file, edit the paths and use the
-C option to use the newly created config file.  I wonder what I would
break doing that :-)

Cheers,

Steve