chrony: [sparc] Fails to read RTC and floods logfiles

Hello John,

You had me confused for a bit with your very quick patched version of
chrony because suddenly a default installation no longer reproduced the
problems :-)

This issue has also been been discussed extensively on the debian-sparc
list [1]. There are some false starts in that thread, but I think this
[2] post and the thread following it contains relevant information.

One problem is that the Mostek RTC driver currently does not support the
RTC_(RD/SET)_TIME. However, the thread contains a patch that will fix
this. I am not completely sure if this patch is final yet or if has will
be (has been) submitted for inclusion in the kernel.
Please let us know your/upstream's thoughts on this.

From an strace [3] I ran on chrony when it fails and floods the logs, it
seems that the main problem is in the use of RTC_UIE_ON, RTC_UIE_OFF
calls as the clock chip does not have an interrupt node.
Perhaps some error handling can be added there.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Frans Pop

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2005/04/msg00115.html