Re: chrony: [sparc] Fails to read RTC and floods logfiles

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:48:07 +0200
Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:

> One problem is that the Mostek RTC driver currently does not support the
> RTC_(RD/SET)_TIME. However, the thread contains a patch that will fix
> this. I am not completely sure if this patch is final yet or if has will
> be (has been) submitted for inclusion in the kernel.
> Please let us know your/upstream's thoughts on this.

THe fix is in upstream 2.6.x and will be in upstream 2.4.x as
soon as Marcelo sets up a GIT tree I can use to merge changes
to him.

> From an strace [3] I ran on chrony when it fails and floods the logs, it
> seems that the main problem is in the use of RTC_UIE_ON, RTC_UIE_OFF
> calls as the clock chip does not have an interrupt node.
> Perhaps some error handling can be added there.

That's correct, not all RTC devices have interrupt generation
capabilities, and thus support UIE.  So logging an error when
RTC_UIE_{ON,OFF} returns -EINVAL or similar is not such a good
idea.

Now, to be fair, there is a generic RTC driver in the kernel we could
move over to, called drivers/char/genrtc.c that makes some kind of
attempt to emulate UIE in software by using timers.  I may at
some point in the future move the Mostek RTC driver over to that
thing, but not anytime soon.

So in the meantime, chrony should probably not log when UIE
ioctls do not succeed, it can just mean that the RTC device
does not support generating interrupts.