Re: rc3 + 2.6 kernel on SS 10

Hi,

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Colleen Hatfield wrote:

I installed rc3 on my Sparcstation 10 recently from the rc3 netboot
image with the 2.6 kernel.  I had all sorts of issues partitioning the
disk with partman, but other than that it went pretty smoothly.  I did
everything via netboot and serial console though, so I can't confirm
that any graphics/X/keyboard/etc. works.

Info:

Installer image:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-sparc/rc3/images/sparc32/netboot/2.6/boot.img

Hm, good to know... Weirdly enough, it flatly refuses to boot on my SS10 with Ross Hypersparc processor. I have reported it before [0] and just tested again to be sure. The last messages I get when netbooting:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: 124k freed
EXT2-fs error (device ram0): ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory #2: unaligned directory entry - offset=0, inode=1887317007, rec_len=53961, name_len=101
Warning: unable to open an initial console.
Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.
 <0>Press L1-A to return to the boot prom

The only explanation I have is that there is some Hypersparc-specific glitch, which breaks the initrd image.

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/03/msg00332.html

Thanks and best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org