Re: Lots of kernel problems with U30

Hello,

=> 2.4.27-2 :  No network support

Works fine for me.

Sorry typo on module name in /etc/modules

:-S
=> 2.6.8-2 : Keyboard problems

As mentioned by others, 2.6 uses different keymaps.  I'm running 2.6.8
(smp) on an ultra 2, but have not tried 2.6 on the ultra 30.

Ok, i'm setting up the second U30 for testing this.

I know U30 Creator3D is not the most common Sun station, but it's the first on which i've such number of kernel problems.

It's not much differnt than the more common Ultra 60.

true...

I wanted to know how can i help to test/debug Sparc port.

Testing rc3 or current dailys of the debian-installer and submitting
install reports wouldn't hurt.  Note that some problems are related to
memory (silo might not find the initrd) or disk (partconf gets disk
size wrong on 2nd and later drives) configurations.

Ok, i'm setting up a small panel of stations for testing it.

I've a large number of Sun stations:

sun4u:  (should mostly be fine)

2 x U30 3D
2 x U1 3D
1 x U1

sun4m: (2.6 kernel doesn't work last I heard, I think rc3 has known bug)

1 x SS20 DualRoss 200 Mhz
1 x SS20
1 x SS10
1 x SS5
6 x LX
3 x Classic

On SS20, 2.6 works but SMP won't compile.

sun4c: (all d-i attempts I know of failed, not much interst in supporting)
(upgrading from woody may work if you install a backport 2.4 kernel first)

1 x SS2 + weitek powerUp
5 x SS2
25 x SS1+
4 x IPX
12 x IPC

sun4d with sbus and vme: (or is it sun4m?) (vme won't work, sun4d is mp sun4c)
(may not work mp)

2 x 670 MP

It's a very special computer: VME + SuperSparc1 + sbus + 9bits memory.

All works perfectly on potato and woody. SMP is active.

sun4: (never supported by linux)

2 x 4/360

4/360 is an upgrade of the 4/160 with Sun4c motherboard and VME back plane.

I sorted the list more or less in order of usability.  32 megs is
considered low memory by d-i, 24 megs might not work.

All these Sun, except 4/360 and 3/60 have more than 64 megs of ram

I've tested d-i on all the sun4u/sun4m types you mention except the
ss10, but not rc3.

I could try it with and without SMP
--
@+ Yann