rc3 + 2.6 kernel on SS 10 (was Re: Lots of kernel problems with U30)

On 4/20/05, Blars Blarson <blarson@blars.org> wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 42664959.90208@yannos.com> you write:

> sun4m: (2.6 kernel doesn't work last I heard, I think rc3 has known bug)
> >1 x SS20 DualRoss 200 Mhz
> >1 x SS20
> >1 x SS10
> >1 x SS5
> >6 x LX
> >3 x Classic

<SNIP>

> I've tested d-i on all the sun4u/sun4m types you mention except the
> ss10, but not rc3.

I installed rc3 on my Sparcstation 10 recently from the rc3 netboot
image with the 2.6 kernel.  I had all sorts of issues partitioning the
disk with partman, but other than that it went pretty smoothly.  I did
everything via netboot and serial console though, so I can't confirm
that any graphics/X/keyboard/etc. works.

Info:

Installer image:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-sparc/rc3/images/sparc32/netboot/2.6/boot.img

ep@bcbg:~$ uname -a
Linux bcbg 2.6.8-2-sparc32 #1 Tue Dec 28 11:48:08 PST 2004 sparc GNU/Linux

ep@bcbg:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu             : Texas Instruments, Inc. - SuperSparc-(II)
fpu             : SuperSparc on-chip FPU
promlib         : Version 3 Revision 2
prom            : 2.10
type            : sun4m
ncpus probed    : 1
ncpus active    : 1
CPU0Bogo        : 49.86
CPU0ClkTck      : 50000000
MMU type        : TI Viking/MXCC
contexts        : 65536
nocache total   : 2252800
nocache used    : 540928

ep@bcbg:~$ /usr/sbin/prtconf
System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4m
Memory size: 128 Megabytes
System Peripherals (Software Nodes):

SUNW,SPARCstation-10
    packages (driver probably installed)
        disk-label (driver probably installed)
        deblocker (driver probably installed)
        obp-tftp (driver probably installed)
    options (driver probably installed)
    aliases (driver probably installed)
    openprom (driver probably installed)
    iommu (driver probably installed)
        sbus (driver probably installed)
            espdma (driver probably installed)
                esp (driver probably installed)
                    sd (driver probably installed)
                    st (driver probably installed)
            ledma (driver probably installed)
                le (driver probably installed)
            SUNW,bpp (driver probably installed)
            SUNW,DBRIe (driver probably installed)
                mmcodec (driver probably installed)
            cgsix (driver probably installed)
    obio (driver probably installed)
        zs (driver probably installed)
        zs (driver probably installed)
        eeprom (driver probably installed)
        counter (driver probably installed)
        interrupt (driver probably installed)
        SUNW,fdtwo (driver probably installed)
        auxio (driver probably installed)
        power (driver probably installed)
    memory (driver probably installed)
    virtual-memory (driver probably installed)
    eccmemctl (driver probably installed)
    TI,TMS390Z55 (driver probably installed)

I didn't bother with an install report bc I was just trying to get it
up quickly (as quickly as one can do anything on a sparc 10,
anyway...) to test something else out.  I do have another sparc 10
that's pretty identical to that one that I can install and file an
installation report on though, if people think it would be very
helpful...

- Colleen