Re: IDE disk(s) are not detected on SB100 [was: Re: New 2.4.27-2 kernel and d-i images...]

* Jurij Smakov <jurij@wooyd.org> [02-17-2005 21:57]:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Matt Fischer wrote:
>
> >Thanks for responding.  Here is what happens.
> >
> >I netboot the image (have tried various images).  I manually setup my
> >networking and choose my mirror.  Debian then begins to download the
> >components.  After downloading the components, it scans my hardware and
> >tries to start the partitioning tool.  When that starts, I get a large
> >error message, No Disk Found.  If I drop into a shell I can see that
> >/proc/partitions is empty.  Additionally I seem to be missing the
> >ide-generic module, which I believe is required to use my disk and cdrom
> >(both IDE).
> >
> >Would it help if I captured all the logs?  (If so, where are the logs, are
> >they in syslog.log??)
>
> Ahh, it all makes sense now. Logs are not very useful in this case, but
> the following would be extremely helpful:
>
> 1. Do everything you described up to the point when you get the error,
> preferrably using the latest 2.4.27-2 netboot images.
> 2. Use "Go Back" button to return to the main installer menu.
> 3. Start a shell by selecting the appropriate option in the menu.
> 4. From the shell you can view the loaded kernel modules (lsmod) or load
> additional modules (modprobe <module>). Capture the list of loaded
> modules, then try loading various modules to see if you can make it
> work. The modules relevant to IDE stuff may be found in the directory
> /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/drivers/ide. The sign that the
> disk is detected is the appearance of the entries in the /dev/discs
> directory. If the kernel recognizes the disk, it will put subdirectories
> like disc0, disc1, etc there. As I don't have too much experience with IDE
> hardware, I can't offer very detailed advice here. If you will manage to
> find a (minimal) working combination of modules which make it work,
> consider this bug solved :-).
>
> By the way, this has been reported as bug #281243 in BTS, so you might
> want to followup your debugging information there as well.

	Jurij,

	I dont think any combination will work because the image is
missing the IDE-generic module (as I mentioned in the other thread).
When I connected this disk to my other linux box, it required the
IDE-generic module before it would work.

	Do you build the disk images?  If so could you build one with
the ide-generic module available?