Re: New 2.4.27-2 kernel and d-i images available for sparc - testers wanted

Jurij Smakov wrote:

Hi again,

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Matt Fischer wrote:

5) Tried various netboots, all seemed to lack the ide-generic driver, so my hard drive (and cdrom) were not found.

I still don't have a clear picture. When you boot a d-i netboot image, it is not supposed to detect all your hardware immediately. A normal course of a netboot installation is: it boots a minimum system, then downloads installer components (included required kernel modules), runs hardware detection and inserts the needed modules into the kernel. Are you saying that you are able to boot the machine, d-i starts, you configure the network, download the installer components, run the hardware detection and it fails there? Or does it fail at some earlier point?

Jurij,

Thanks for responding.  Here is what happens.

I netboot the image (have tried various images). I manually setup my networking and choose my mirror. Debian then begins to download the components. After downloading the components, it scans my hardware and tries to start the partitioning tool. When that starts, I get a large error message, No Disk Found. If I drop into a shell I can see that /proc/partitions is empty. Additionally I seem to be missing the ide-generic module, which I believe is required to use my disk and cdrom (both IDE).

Would it help if I captured all the logs? (If so, where are the logs, are they in syslog.log??)