IDE disk(s) are not detected on SB100 [was: Re: New 2.4.27-2 kernel and d-i images...]

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Matt Fischer wrote:

Thanks for responding.  Here is what happens.

I netboot the image (have tried various images). I manually setup my networking and choose my mirror. Debian then begins to download the components. After downloading the components, it scans my hardware and tries to start the partitioning tool. When that starts, I get a large error message, No Disk Found. If I drop into a shell I can see that /proc/partitions is empty. Additionally I seem to be missing the ide-generic module, which I believe is required to use my disk and cdrom (both IDE).

Would it help if I captured all the logs? (If so, where are the logs, are they in syslog.log??)

Ahh, it all makes sense now. Logs are not very useful in this case, but the following would be extremely helpful:

1. Do everything you described up to the point when you get the error, preferrably using the latest 2.4.27-2 netboot images.
2. Use "Go Back" button to return to the main installer menu.
3. Start a shell by selecting the appropriate option in the menu.
4. From the shell you can view the loaded kernel modules (lsmod) or load additional modules (modprobe <module>). Capture the list of loaded modules, then try loading various modules to see if you can make it work. The modules relevant to IDE stuff may be found in the directory /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/drivers/ide. The sign that the disk is detected is the appearance of the entries in the /dev/discs directory. If the kernel recognizes the disk, it will put subdirectories like disc0, disc1, etc there. As I don't have too much experience with IDE hardware, I can't offer very detailed advice here. If you will manage to find a (minimal) working combination of modules which make it work, consider this bug solved :-).

By the way, this has been reported as bug #281243 in BTS, so you might want to followup your debugging information there as well.

Thanks and best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org