Re: [HELP] [PORT] sparc vs sparc5 vs ultrasparc?

On Sat, 2004-12-25 at 21:34, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  mesa upstream includes configuration files for three Sparc
>  architectures: sparc, sparc5 and ultrasparc.
<snip>
>  3. Does this make sense?  AFAIUI the v8 has divide instructions which
>     make it much more bearable than generic sparc code.

<snip>
The exact flags depend a bit on the version of gcc you're using,
assuming you're using >= 3.3 :

Broadly speaking see
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3/gcc/SPARC-Options.html#SPARC-Options
However, for what it's worth I would be tempted to rename (upstream) the
three architectures sparcv7, sparcv8 and sparcv9, respectively using

CFLAGS=-mcpu=v7 -mtune=cypress
CFLAGS=-mcpu=v8 -mtune=v8
CFLAGS=-mcpu=v9 -mtune=ultrasparc

If you're using >= 3.4 then add -mvis to the sparcv9 architecture.  This
is morally the same as what you had before and gives a good portability
/ optimality trade off.  Then build the sparcv8 version for the default
package for the (Debian) sparc architecture and create a second package
with an optimised version for UltraSparc machines (using the upstream
sparcv9).

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin