Cannot boot 2.6.8 kernel from ext3 root partition on Ultra5

I have an Ultra5 that I've been running Sarge (testing  - official snapshot
11/07/04, kernel 2.4.27).  I downloaded and installed
kernel-image-2.6.8-1-sparc64_2.6.8-5_sparc.deb, and also the corresponding
source deb.  I compiled my own custom 2.6.8 kernel and installed it.  Both of
the 2.6.8 kernels panic during boot-up.  The following is the last 6 lines on
the screen from an attempted boot:

NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 17
VFS: Cannot open root device "hda2" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
 <0>Press L1-A to return to the boot prom

When I use the Debian binary, I can press [Stop]-A to get back to the boot
PROM, but when I use my self-compiled kernel, this does nothing - I have to
use the hard power switch on the back of the CPU.  Maybe this has something
to do with the fact that I compiled Sun keyboard & mouse support as modules
(I want to use a USB KB & mouse on a PCI USB card as the primary console)?

My silo.conf looks like this:
==================================
root=/dev/hda2
partition=1
default=linux-usb
read-only
timeout=100
image=/vmlinuz-sun
 label=linux-sun
 initrd=initrd-sun

image=/vmlinuz-usb
 label=linux-usb
 initrd=initrd-usb

image=/vmlinuz-268
 label=linux-268
 initrd=initrd-268

image=/vmlinuz-268usb
 label=linux-268usb
 initrd=initrd-268usb
==================================

After booting into a 2.4.27 kernel, 'df -h' gives me this:
==================================
/dev/hda2             3.7G  2.7G  846M  77% /
tmpfs                  62M     0   62M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda1              90M   22M   63M  26% /boot

In the Debian kernel, they have ext3 support as a module.  In my kernel, I
compiled it in monolithically.  The only feature I don't have enabled is
EXT3_FS_SECURITY.  Everything else related to ext3 is enabled.

Anybody out ther know what might be causing this?  Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

-Dan