Re: Sarge on SPARC IPC

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 12:46, Mick Weiss wrote:
> How well does it run on an IPC? I have 2 and I was thinking that they
> would make nifty inhouse development servers (apache, cvs, bz, bonsai
> etc.) - since I won't need a lot of disc space.
>
> Would anyone have any recommendations / hints from personal experience
> that they could provide?

I put Potato on one (my first Sparc install) a couple of years ago.
Then later Woody when I was pondering what could be done with five of
these lunchboxes.

These top out at 48M RAM and their CPU is 20 or 25 MHz.

With these specs an IPC is pretty constrained when using today's
software.  These CPUs also lack hardware integer multiply, right?  They
presumably are better with floats.

The hard drives in the ones I had were about 200M.  Not enough for a
base Woody install let alone Sarge.  I installed 4G for the iteration
with Woody; if memory serves the 4G was fully accessible.

-- SP