Re: Sarge on SPARC IPC

Am Freitag, 24. September 2004 18:46 schrieb Mick Weiss:
> How well does it run on an IPC? I have 2 and I was thinking that they
> would make nifty inhouse development servers (apache, cvs, bz, bonsai
> etc.) - since I won't need a lot of disc space.
>
> Would anyone have any recommendations / hints from personal experience
> that they could provide?
>
> Example: if one kernel version would be better than another, or if the
> IPC is too old to do anything useful with... etc.
>
> I prefer personal experience over guesswork anyday :)

How much RAM does they have? I once had a SparcClassic with 48MB RAM and
running Phorum (a forum software) called the OOM-Killer just too often ;)

However, the base system does not need much: 8464KB of RAM, running exim4 and
sshd (and the usual default stuff like inetd). This is a SS20 but that
shouldn't matter.
CVS should be fine but anything fancy with apache probably needs some RAM.

During installation, you should be very patient ;)

HS

        oder über pgp.net