Re: Installing debian on a sunfire V440

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 04:26:52PM +0200, Mark Gj?l wrote:
I'm trying to install Debian on a Sunfire V440, but I'm having some
initial problems... At first I tried a Debian boot cd (Sarge), but it froze when
it reached "remapping kernel"... No fun! I tried tried another cd
(Woody) but this only caused the machine to reboot. Some kind soul told
me that Silo isn't the most reliable of things so I should net boot the
thing instead. Ok then!

So I download an image
(http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-sparc/rc1/images/sparc64/netboot/boot.img)
and try to boot it, but I get a "Fast Data Access MMU Miss", and feel
pretty lost. Any ideas what I could do?

Ok, it seems that 2.4.x kernels hang with "Remapping the kernel..." and 2.6.x kernels gives me the "Fast Data Access MMU Miss"... When trying Aurora (Some Sparc Redhat thing) I actually got past remapping kernel. It hung at:
"Remapping the kernel... Ok"

I almost shouted "YES!", but only made it to "YE... Crap!".

--
// Mark Gjøl
I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously.